To select audio properties in Windows 7
- Right–click the speaker icon in taskbar and select Playback devices option.
Alternately, you can go to Audio Properties from Start > Control Panel > Sound.
- To select an appropriate recording device (microphone), select the Recording tab and device.
- To configure the device as your default device, right–click the device and click Set as Default Device.
- For advanced options, right–click the default device and select Properties.
- In newly opened Properties window, select the Levels tab. Then, select the Microphone level and Microphone Boost accordingly.
This level should be set as per the microphone device you are using. It will be different for headset and different for a stand microphone.